Monday, February 2, 2015

My 5 star review of Kyland!!


    













5 HUGE STARS :)

  Have you ever read an author that totally gets you, EVERY.SINGLE.TIME? I have, and her name is Mia Sheridan. I first read Mia’s book Leo in 2013 when it came out. I couldn’t believe it was her first book, it was so well written- and I loved every single word of it. Her stories are highly emotional, and the characters are always beautifully written. Kyland was absolutely no exception.

     Every time Mia writes she one ups herself, in different ways each time. I can’t judge her characters together on which one I like the best, because I love all of them in different ways. If there was a way to have ten favorite characters from Mia’s books, I would have them all. Each character means so much to me, and the way they are weaved together and destined to be with one another makes me fall again and again. I couldn’t wait to start this book, yet I never wanted it to end, and with Mia’s books- I always feel that way.

“The first time I really noticed Kyland Barrett, he was swiping someone’s discarded breakfast off a cafeteria table. I’d looked away, attempting to preserve his dignity, a gut reaction on my part.”

     Kyland Barrett lives in a poverty stricken town in Dennville, Kentucky. This setting really hit home to me, because I am from Louisville, Kentucky- a much bigger city, and not impoverished, but knowing that places like this exist and are very real, makes me hurt. To not know what a home cooked meal feels like, or the warmth from a heater, is something we very much take for granted. Reading Mia’s book is more than a story, written and typed on paper, it’s an experience.

“A beautiful girl with a spirit so bright I wanted to squint when I looked at her was not going to derail me now.”

     Tenleigh Falyn also lives in this same town and she notices Kyland, because like her- she can sense he comes from a hard upbringing. Like two kindred spirits- waiting to find each other. They both knew what hopelessness felt like. And to me, it seems so sad that such young people had to struggle so hard. Her home life wasn’t the greatest, like Kyland’s- but she at least had her sister Marlo, who was a great additional character to the story.

     And even though the place of Dennville is where these two live, they don’t really feel like it’s a home. They both want something bigger and better for their lives. And to them- it means winning the coal scholarship that pays a full ride to college- and getting the heck out of dodge. But only one person can win, so it leaves Tenleigh and Kyland vying for the same goal.

“I think about that line sometimes. I think about how that little fire is hope. I think about how you have to keep it burning to get you through the hard times, the times that seem so painful you don’t want to continue one.”
I opened my eyes. “What keeps your fire burning?”
“The hope that life won’t always hurt so badly. The belief that I’ll get out of her someday- that I won’t be cold or hungry forever. It keeps me going. It’s my fire. It helps me do the things I need to do to survive,, and it helps me hate myself less for doing them.”

     And to top it off, they start feeling a mutual attraction for one another that can’t be stopped, even if they tried to. And it complicates things even further. I loved their loved story- how sweet and innocent it was. With them, love is never a mistake. But it does make things more difficult.

“I’m going to leave here, Tenleigh. Nothing is going to stop me. Not you, not anything. Not anyone. Do you hear me? … I’m leaving this place behind when I go. Everything about this place. Even you.”

     And that’s when Mia hits you in all the feels. I felt so many things at once!! And Kyland- God love him, I fell so hard for him, and everything he went through. He was absolutely beautifully written.

“I do go to hell. Every day. For you."

     They may start out as teenagers, but the magic of Mia happens, and we fast forward four years into the future- and all the pieces that were left hanging were tied nicely in a little bow- but not without some crazy sobbing moments, some sweet “awwwwws,” and some moments where I just hugged my loved ones a little tighter.

“My love for her was everything… and all at once.”

     Never once have I purchased a Mia Sheridan book and thought to myself- what a waste! Never. She never disappoints me, and she is always there to brighten my reading list. Archer’s Voice was my number one last year for a reason- and it’s safe to say out of the 30 books I have read this year so far- Kyland graces that same top spot.

     Mia is a force to be reckoned with, because not only is she an uber talented writer- she is a fantastic human being, and I thank my lucky stars that the interwebs put us in each other’s path. Mia you slay me with words yet again, and I am thankful to call you a friend, and it gives me so much pleasure to write you an honest review in exchange for this glorious book!


      Continue on your path to greatness, and just know- never stop getting nervous before each release, never stop thinking people might not like your hero, or your setting, never stop writing. It is truly your gift to us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment